Sign in to follow this  
Fran Bidwell

Best iPad app

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

I work with students who have either a visual Impairment or a learning disability.

Need the ability to change colors/font size/word tracking, etc.

Trying to decide on the most cost efficient app to put on our iPads.

Anyone try both Voice Dream Reader as well as Read2Go?  Recommendations?  Is one better than the other?

Thanks

Hey Fran,

Everyone can chime in of course, but from our perspective Voice Dream Reader tends to provide the best overall experience.  It's menu system is a little more complicated than Read2Go but it actually has slightly more flexibility in terms of color options.  Additionally it has a reading mode where it blacks out extra parts of the screen allowing students to focus in on exactly where they're reading with fewer distractions which is really popular.

Voice Dream also has an advantage in voices, Read2Go has two voices, Acapela Heather and Ryan, with no options to add additional voices.  Voice Dream Reader comes with one free voice which you get to select from it's huge collection of voices, then you can purchase additional voices for just a few dollars if you so choose.  This includes foreign language voices which then allow your students to read our foreign language books with proper pronunciations.

Though I personally prefer Read2Go, I find students like VoiceDream much better.  VoiceDream also lets you buy a variety of voices and grab your books from different cloud storage sources. For Braille, Read2Go does have a big edge, and I think it's a bit less confusing for BVI users.