Theresa Melohn

Books available in PDF

Rate Topic 0

7 posts in this topic

Hi Theresa,

Lets talk about this more, what about the PDF format makes it attractive to use for you or your members?  Is it simply a difficulty around finding an appropriate reading tool, or is there another way that you use this format that has benefits over our other existing formats?

We are currently prioritizing making EPUB available for all of our members to download, but we're always happy to investigate other methods for accessing our content that our members may benefit from.

We use Kurzweil at our University for our students with print disabilities.  I typically convert the pdf into a kesi file and upload it to Kurzweil/Firefly for the student.  I have not worked with EPUB so I am not sure if I would be able to use that format.

Kurzweil is compatible with DAISY as well, you should be able to open our DAISY files with Kurzweil and then save them as the kesi format just like you do with pdf. In fact you should also be able to download Bookshare books directly through Kurzweil through the online books menu, however to the best of my knowledge they have not updated that process in a while, and it may not download any images if we have images available for the books.

Many times I need the PDF because I can make it readable for the student to take on their laptop. OR the student can't carry books because of they are quadriplegic and opening  on a tablet in class is easier. We do require our students to purchase the book whether they actually use it or not when we give it to them in an Alternate Format.

Edited by Lisa Ayres

Here's one solution. Download as text, open the file and change the file with the .xml extension to a .html extension. That will allow you to open it in Chrome. Open it up in Chrome by either dragging it in or double clicking it (it's been glitchy recently).

Then tell Chrome to print it and then before hitting the print button hit "change" for the printer destination. Switch the destination to "Save as PDF." This allows it to automatically convert to a PDF.