Nick Bowen

The Girl on the Train - October Bookshare Book Club

Rate Topic 1

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Welcome to the first official meeting of the Bookshare Book Club.  Each month Bookshare will work with the Book Club members to select a new book to read and enjoy together.  

For this month the selected book is: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

The #1 New York Times Bestseller, USA Today Book of the Year, soon to be a major motion picture. The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

To begin the conversation how did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"? How did you feel reading it: amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored...?

Please be aware the conversation that follows may include spoilers.

Ok, finally got time to read! My sister had to do a rest at the library so I went with her and enjoyed the peace and quiet with great sournding. I love libraries. Books everywhere! 

Anyways, the beginning of the first chapter (Rachel) 2-/ kinda slow, though it was nessary to explain the scenery and her style of thinking. 

The first few chapters of The Girl on The Train capture the feeling of commuting on public transit so well. As someone that takes the bus to work every day, I can relate to most of Rachel's insights. There's an interesting communal feeling that you get while sitting on packed bus or train; as Rachel mentions, you can feel how antsy everyone is to make it to their destination on time, their surprise when the bus suddenly jolts to a stop. I love the author's descriptions of Rachel's routine in the beginning of the book. While Rachel certainly has her own personal problems, she's a very likable character because of her thoughtful commentary. 

While some narrators include a structured introduction of supporting characters--including their relationship, history, and some kind of description of their personality--Rachel introduces other characters very abruptly. Tom, Jess, and Jason are mentioned off-hand, but without any real formal introduction. I think this kind of introduction works very well for this book as a mystery novel. Were you frustrated by not knowing much about these characters, including Rachel herself, or did you enjoy the mystery?

Rachel is a character that I can picture very clearly. My cousin is very much like Rachel: haveing an overactive imagination. So reading Rachel's perspective and style of telling the story is very fun and in a way, familiar. 

I feel like I could relate to Megan the most. In many ways I'm just like her, though I wouldn't have gone to a therapist. Otherwise, I see things like her (at least in the first few chapters). 

I'm not very far in the book yet, but I did find it a little frustrating and enjoyed the mystery of wanting to know who Jess and Jason really were, how their life really was and not the way Rachel imagined it. I want to know the true history of Tom and Rachel's life when they were married and Wgat happened that ended their releationship. Where did Anna come from? And when Megan heard Anna and Rachel screaming one morning outside the garden, what were they arguing about? 

Without spoiling 2)9 the killer (if anyone knows) is/are:

Who do you think is the killer? Who's the victum? In the beginning of the book, no one really knows who's dead yet, but just making guesses.

Hey there! Since I've already finished the book, I don't think I can comment much on who I think the killer and/or victim might be. Re-reading some of the beginning sections, I had forgotten how obscure the first few pages--before Rachel's first chapter--are. I'm personally not a huge fan of quotes and teaser sections at the beginning of books, but looking back at these I actually enjoyed them quite a bit. 

Just to make sure I don't post about anything that you haven't read yet, would you mind posting what chapter/page you're on right now, Janet? I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on Anna and the two detectives. Personally I really disliked Anna, although I know I'm a little biased with Rachel as the narrator of the story. 

Ok finally my delivery person came through, it took a while but maybe they'll be a little faster with the next book.

Just getting through the first 50 or so pages, the Jess and Jason story is interesting.  The idea of people watching is always entertaining, filling in the blanks and such but I don't know of a situation where you're ever really able to fill in those blanks, compare notes if you will between what you imagined and what they were really like.  Rachel's alcoholism, and memory issues makes me fearful that she's doing more than she realizes.

I'm stuck wondering what caused her to go down the path she's on, was it really Anna, or was she already headed down that path before Anna entered the picture.

I've always enjoyed reading jysteries cause all the missing information that you only find out along the way. It's fun and at times coukd be frustrating cause you really want to. And Girl on the Train is excatly like that. You read Megan's part of the story then it ends on a mysterious ending, then you get Rachel and then Anna. Each chapter you're left wanting to read more, but it moves to another character.

So far from what I've read, I'm thinking the victum gets killed by the  therapist. Maybe he gets a little obsessed and goes mad? Though it could also be Rachel too. When she drinks she sometimes can't remember times in her life, so maybe she just forgot she killed someone. However the only thing that leaves doubts is that why? Why woukd she (REMOVED) the nanny? So I'm going with my first guess.

I've read a bit further and I just can't get over how incredibly flawed each of these characters are.  What caused Megan to turn into the essentially life long rebellious teen.  I read that she started at a young age but it hasn't gone into more details than that yet.  Why is Scott so intrusive and untrusting, there must have been something in his past that made him like that too right?  Of course Rachel is the most flawed of them all, or at least maybe it just seems that way because she's the narrator.  I've read what broke her but I just can't imagine the series of events and family pressure put on her to break her to how we find her at the start of the story.  And of course her ex-husband who seemingly didn't support her through the time and instead found another avenue.

I've continued reading, I'm convinced the killer is someone we know well so the strange man with the orange hair on the train probably isn't the killer, but I don't yet understand what role he plays in the story.  The therapist is interesting but I don't think it's him either, he seems too hesitant for anything, but then again if it was him that Megan was talking to in the beginning about not resisting her then who knows.