Patti Biermann

How do mentor teachers access the book to read for themselves?

Rate Topic 0

7 posts in this topic

Hi Patti,

We receive this question a lot, and unfortunately the answer is in most cases teachers are not allowed to access the content for themselves.  Bookshare resides under a copyright exemption that's very specific in that the only individuals who can legally use our content are those who have a qualifying disability.  This is why our Organizational or school memberships are structured such that teachers can't download content for themself, they must select a qualified student or individual that the book is intended for.  This puts teachers and others who support these students in a bit of the middle ground, where they are able to assign books to students and download content on behalf of the students, but they are not allowed to actually access the content for the purpose of their own reading.  

Now all of that said it's also common for teachers to have a qualifying disability.  In these scenarios teachers simply need to register for a stand alone Individual Membership with Bookshare, and then can use that account to access Bookshare content.  

35 minutes ago, Nick Bowen said:

Hi Patti,

We receive this question a lot, and unfortunately the answer is in most cases teachers are not allowed to access the content for themselves.  Bookshare resides under a copyright exemption that's very specific in that the only individuals who can legally use our content are those who have a qualifying disability.  This is why our Organizational or school memberships are structured such that teachers can't download content for themself, they must select a qualified student or individual that the book is intended for.  This puts teachers and others who support these students in a bit of the middle ground, where they are able to assign books to students and download content on behalf of the students, but they are not allowed to actually access the content for the purpose of their own reading.  

Now all of that said it's also common for teachers to have a qualifying disability.  In these scenarios teachers simply need to register for a stand alone Individual Membership with Bookshare, and then can use that account to access Bookshare content.  

Nick,

I am confused about this issue. Let me pose an example. Let's suppose I am a teacher of the visually impaired and work for a public school education agency that serves a number of school districts. I teach students who are blind or have low vision. These students qualify for Bookshare. As the TVI, I may or may not have access to the physical book that my student is required to read. As a Sponsor, I can download that digital book and provide it to my student. But is Bookshare saying that I am not allowed to access that Bookshare book in role as the student's TVI? So, is Bookshare's policy that I cannot read/review the Bookshare book to check the content, quality, page numbers, table of contents, images, and other items so that I can support my student as he or she reads the book?

Hi Karen,

You're absolutely right, there is a little bit of a grey area.  Teachers cannot use the book for the purposes of themselves accessing the content.  They cannot download a book for the purposes of reading it themself.  However, verifying the book is correct, or verifying the downloaded book is the intended book for the student by matching it to a physical copy is fine.  

I also find it helpful when introducing a student to Bookshare. I have both the Read2go and VoiceDream app on my iPad. Since I have students at different age levels I find it helpful to pull from the books that I have previously downloaded for my students to sample. I have also used the Bookshare apps on my iPad to introduce students to this portable way of accessing Bookshare. I try and open the books in both apps so that students can try out the differences.