Sign in to follow this  
Nick Bowen

Include visuals in textbooks including graphs, maps and pictures.

Rate Topic 0

2 posts in this topic

(Submission from previous platform)

Some visuals are importent to the meaning of the text.

Response by Ginny Grant, Product Manager, Literacy Products, Bookshare: 

Absolutely, for a sighted user pictures can paint a thousand words :-)

Also, if you want to filter your search of Bookshare to just books with images, you can use the "Advanced Search" link in the header and then choose to limit your search to just books with images and/or image descriptions (which are worth 10,000 words to a non-visual user!).

Over the past few years, we have received more titles directly from the publishers which will contain images. Where ever possible, our Collection Development team obtains textbooks from the NIMAC, which come to us from the publisher directly to the NIMAC and over to Bookshare, complete with images. However, if the student who is requesting the title doesn’t have an IEP in a state that uses the NIMAC, or is in a post-secondary school, Bookshare has to purchase, chop, scan and proofread the requested textbook. Because of the size and complexity of these titles, it is not feasible to retain the images in the textbook.

See: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/access-nimac-books for more details on titles from theNIMAC.

If the publisher is willing to give Bookshare the textbook directly, then we can make it available to members with print disabilities, regardless of whether they have an IEP. I hope this info helps, especially if you or your student is eligible for NIMAC titles, that is the way to go!

It is also crucial that when an image is important to the text that it be marked in some text-based way so that a blind user knows it exists. When a reader knows an image exists he has the option of showing it to a sighted friend to describe to him, or he can view it under a magnifier. I have many low-vision users who want to use speech most of the time, and only magnify an image when it's vital to understanding a textbook.

As a blind crafter, I want a friend to describe images if it's something I'm interested in making; otherwise I don't care about the pictures.