Nick Bowen

Make books downloadable in ePub format.

Rate Topic 1

2 posts in this topic

(Submission from previous platform)

Response by Ginny Grant, Product Manager, Literacy Products, Bookshare: 

Bookshare titles are available in EPUB 3 format through the API. What kind of eReaders are being used, and do they interface directly with Bookshare?

Related response by Igor Kaminski:

I was thinking of allowing books to be downloaded in ePub format because web reader technically uses ePub to deliver content instead of daisy. However, there are times when an internet connection isn't available; this would require books to be read offline with an e-reader like ePub reader, which is a Mozilla Firefox add-on many people use.

Related response by Samantha Lorey:

As far as ereaders go, I use a Kindle but it is far easier to convert an epub to a Kindle format than it is to convert Daisy to Kindle.

Related response by Heather Peterson:

In answer to your question about ereaders: Read2Go, helpful though it is for providing easy previews of Bookshare books, remains inadequate to my needs as a large print reader. On my iPhone, I currently use Gerty for epub files, but I periodically try out new ereader apps as I find ones that work better for my eyes and my reading habits. I've been reading Bookshare books in html format on the Tomes app for iPhone, but Tomes is the only html ereader I've been able to find for the iPhone, and it's not being updated to keep up with new versions of iOS. Having epub versions of Bookshare books would provide me with more options for ereaders.

These days I know how to convert DAISY to epub - though I appreciate Bookshare posting this information on how to do so here: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/how-can-i-convert-bookshare-books-text - but it's still an extra step that would slow down my reading process so much that I've been sticking to html files. So any advances you could offer in that regard, I'd greatly appreciate.