Sign in to follow this  
Nick Bowen

Have a way for teachers to access student passwords in case they forget them

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

(Submission from previous platform)

any students (especially middle school students and those with learning disabilities) have difficulty remembering passwords. They may have access at home, but when they get to school, they can't use their accounts because they don't remember their password. It would be great for the teacher (or sponsor) to have access to the passwords in these cases.

Response by Ginny Grant, Product Manager, Literacy Products, Bookshare: 

Susan! Great to hear from you, and super-wonderful that you are using Bookshare for your students. I am working on a number of tools that will help Educators be more effective in creating "Reading Lists" (virtual bookshelves or curriculum lists) for their students; I will keep in mind the “but I forgot my password!” challenge that you regularly face with young folks. Thank you for the idea!

How about simply resetting the password back to teacher default. The student clicks that button and the password reverts to whatever the teacher originally set it to be. This way the teacher tracks the original passwords and can tell the student again if they forget.

I realize that we hadn't updated this posting with some improvements that we made during last school year, so wanted to pull that update into this forum too! I hope you will look at the new back-to-school quick guides and information about how Reading Lists are even easier to use, as is managing your Member List.

As long as a student is considered an "Organizational Member" any sponsor in the same organization can set up a student login (username and password), or can reset that student's password. We are looking into ways that we can offer sponsors the ability to reset passwords for Org Members who also have an Individual Membership, but since Student Logins have been so powerful, it is less critical to move students onto Individual Memberships as in the past.