Melissa Mallett

Reader

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

Hello! Our school provides our students with MacBook Airs with OS 10.11.6  Are there any free readers we can use for our SLD kiddos? I looked through the list and it looks like our machines are too new to use any of the free readers. I am hoping I am wrong :( Thanks!! 

Hi Melissa,

The best option on this platform for our LD qualified members is our Web Reader or Capti Narrator, which are both browser based reading tools which basically always needs to be online to function.  But both will work great on Safari and offer a great number of tools. 

The Web Reader with Bookshare is completely free and includes the majority of the tools our members want. With the Web Reader you can also distribute content through the Bookshare Reading Lists while giving your students access to log into Bookshare directly.  Capti does have a premium version that adds some features not included in the Web Reader and does offer some built in management for book distribution as well.

Another option to try is to download a title as EPUB and open that title in iBooks (the file is actually an EPUB 3). This free reading tool may work for some of your kiddos - check out the Help Center article called: Can I open a book in iBooks? for more details. We'd love to hear how that option works for you!