Sign in to follow this  
Tim

go Read Alternatives for Kindle Fire

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, was just wondering something. i have some patrons using the Kindle Fire and they are interested in using Bookshare. However, I know Go Read is not supported in the Amazon playstore. Go Read the ApK is able to be side loaded but if it is and you use it, you can't speed up or adjust the reading voice at all even in the kindle settings where it effects go Read and the voice is slow for a lot of folks. Is there an alternative to Go Read for the Kindle fire, would downloading the Epub3 files and dropping them to your kindle help in this matter and if so, how would you perform such a feat, or will that not work either. Is there a way to get Go Read to be sped up or adjusted to better fit their needs? Just curious as to how to let them proceed with this. They're not fans of the i Devices and want this on their kindles. Thanks for any help you guys can provide. Take care and talk to you soon. 

Hey Tim,

Unfortunately for the reasons you describe we can't yet make the Kindle Fire a Bookshare supported platform.  We have generally heard good things from members side loading one of the two Android compatible apps over to the device, but until the apps are fully supported by the Amazon store it just isn't something we can truly advocate to do.  We've heard some members were able to install the Google Play Store, if you are able to do that obviously that would probably be the best option for accessing our content.

I have sideloaded GoRead and do not experience these problems with the voice. I read very, very fast, but I do use VoiceView the screen reader.

It is likely that once you speed up the voice using the screen reader, it stays fast for GoRead. If you don't need the screen reader, turn it off after speeding up the voice.