Lindsey Spencer

Chrome web reader not working properly

Rate Topic 0

7 posts in this topic

Hello,  I have not gone through all of the questions here, so I am unsure whether this has been answered or not. 

I recently got my students started on bookshare and when we tried to use the chrome web reader on their chromebooks, the words and sentences were not highlighted.  Voice and everything was fine, some of the buttons were a little sluggish and we could not highlight words for the reader to start on (it would start over several paragraphs up or at the beginning of the paragraph)  I tried to see if I could change that within the settings, but I could not.  These guys really need the tracking.  The web reader works beautifully on chrome on my macbook.  

Thanks!

Hey Lindsey,

This unfortunately is an issue with the default voices included with Chrome.  Most voices will include a process that happens behind the scenes that tells the app calling it up where it is within the text, but the default Chrome voices for some reason do not.

There is a solution, download and install this TTS Extension into your Chrome devices: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-os-us-english-fema/efdojdlmjknacnljjdedapanceanigkh

Once installed make sure you go to the Web Reader settings and choose the new HQ English voice from the voice drop down, and highlighting should be fixed.

Did you have  any luck getting the word-highlighting to work? I am having the same issue with my Chrome books using web reader, even after installing the english-female voice. Where is the settings for choosing the voice?

Hi Robin,

Within the Web Reader select the settings button, it's a gear icon on the top right.  In that Web Reader settings window at the bottom is a voice selector drop down box.  You will need to pick the english HQ voice from this list, there may be several other default Google voices but unfortunately none of them will have word highlighting.

We're still having some issues, but I think that is more to do with kids sharing chromebooks instead of having 1:1.  We downloaded the Chrome OS US and it seems to be working fairly well.  It is not a perfect system (there is a lot I would change), but it is getting the job done.

I have tried all of these fixes and still cannot get the defaults to change from Arabic on the Chromebooks at the school. Even when I installed English and reopened Chromebook, the default is still Arabic. I can't even get it to change to English at all. 

Hi Katie, as this could be related to a few things please contact our technical support team so they can walk you through some fixes.