For new teachers

Rate Topic 0

5 posts in this topic

I personally always advise teachers if possible to do two things.  First, to really work with their students to find what features the students benefit most from.  Every student is a little different, and I don't believe there is just one method for accessing Bookshare that just works for everyone.  For instance when working with students with Dyslexia, some benefit from using a Dyslexic font, others will say it makes no difference.  Some will say the word highlighting is what really helps, others its just a slow, clear voice.  And of course many are combinations of all of these.

Then the second thing which is closely related to that is to try out as many of the Bookshare compatible programs or applications as possible to find the ones that best fit the features their students benefit most from.  For instance Go Read on Android is free and great for many of our users, but doesn't include a Dyslexic font, nor word level highlighting.  Voice Dream Reader on Android, while does cost a small bit to purchase, does include those other features.  

There are so many different ways to open Bookshare books that it can get confusing, but I like to say that we're able to find a combinations of hardware and software that will open books with the features anyone needs.  

For new teachers I would recommend fully exploring and practicing with all the different options.....luckily there are so many choices for using Bookshare....but each one has different features, benefits and limitations. I like to try out the different programs and devices so that I can show my students different options. Some students and school districts are reluctant to try Digital options and they benefit from the teachers demonstrating how they can benefit from implementing digital options.

If I were a Sponsor who is new to Bookshare, I would spend a lot of time up front perusing the Bookshare website. I would begin by looking at information under the “Is Bookshare for Me” and “Help Center” tabs. Under the “Is Bookshare for Me” tab, I would read about Who Qualifies and What It Costs and view the Possibilities Abound with Bookshare video. Then I would view some of the video tutorials and read some of the brochures and how-to guides available in the Help Menu under “Training and Resources/Bookshare Academy.” The Learn It Now video tutorials, brochures, and how-to-guides provide information on the basics of Bookshare, membership, finding and organizing books, reading books, and member testimonials. Then I would take time to look carefully at the options under “My Bookshare.” In summary, I would spend a good deal of time exploring the Bookshare website before trying to manage my student roster, downloading/assigning books to students, or exploring software and hardware applications, etc.

On 2/26/2017 at 11:41 AM, Karen Narvol said:

If I were a Sponsor who is new to Bookshare, I would spend a lot of time up front perusing the Bookshare website. I would begin by looking at information under the “Is Bookshare for Me” and “Help Center” tabs. Under the “Is Bookshare for Me” tab, I would read about Who Qualifies and What It Costs and view the Possibilities Abound with Bookshare video. Then I would view some of the video tutorials and read some of the brochures and how-to guides available in the Help Menu under “Training and Resources/Bookshare Academy.” The Learn It Now video tutorials, brochures, and how-to-guides provide information on the basics of Bookshare, membership, finding and organizing books, reading books, and member testimonials. Then I would take time to look carefully at the options under “My Bookshare.” In summary, I would spend a good deal of time exploring the Bookshare website before trying to manage my student roster, downloading/assigning books to students, or exploring software and hardware applications, etc.

Karen thank you for responding to my post.  -Jacquie Knight