Monica Rathsack

Allow the Bookshare web reader to work with organizational log in

Rate Topic 1

10 posts in this topic

The Bookshare web reader in Chrome is a great option for our district because every high school student receives a Chromebook. However, not all of our Bookshare members have individual memberships and the web reader only works with individual memberships.

Hi Monica,

The good news is this is a new feature we recently implemented, now all Organizational Members can be assigned a username and password to log into Bookshare with.  Please note that they cannot access the entire Bookshare library, but they can access any book a sponsor shares with them through reading lists.  

For more information see our page: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/empowering-all-your-students-access-bookshare

I'm aware of the reading lists, but a reading list does not empower students to read for enjoyment. Even if a book is available on a reading list, there are students who would choose not to read simply because the teacher is giving them access rather than self selecting reading material.

Hi Monica, 

It sounds like you may wish to assist your students in registering for a full Individual Membership with Bookshare.  If they have an existing student access account where they can log into Bookshare and access books shared with them on reading lists, upgrading to the full access account is very easy.  Simply have them select the "Want to read more books?" link from the right side of their My Bookshare page, and click the link on that page to sign up.  Once they complete that form and their parents or guardians agree to our terms of use their account will be upgraded to have full access to the Bookshare library.

They will still appear on your Organizational Roster so that you can still assign books through reading lists or assist them with other items.

I think the problem actually results from a different cause. The letter sstudents and/or parents receive to invite them to apply for an individual membership is wordy and bureaucratic. It starts out with a pompous sentence that says "As you may be aware, John Doe ..." etc. I'm on vacation so don't have a copy of this letter here, but the problem is that it doesn't make the process sound easy or inviting, especially for reluctant readers.

I would say something like:

"Welcome to bookshare. You are now a school member, and your teacher will select books for you to read. But, you can become an independent reader by filling out a simple form online. Independent members can independently choose whatever they wish to read."

Now see how much friendlier that sounds. The letter that exists is addressed to the parent, and it should be addressed to the student. A young student will have it read to them by the parent. If the parent herself is a reluctant reader (this often runs in families!), the letter will sound inviting to the parent as well.

And get rid of the ridiculous term "individual member". How about "school patron" and "full patron" or some term that better reflects the library mission.

Hi Debee,

Thank you for the feedback, we definitely have a lot of room to improve our messaging and terminology, both of which are definitely on our radar.  

We are hoping at some point in the future we can move away from sending the emails you mention as we believe both the issue of individuals not receiving the email and the complexity of the included instructions will always be a source for confusion and possibly frustration.  Would you agree or do you believe there's always going to be a need to send emails inviting members to upgrade their account to a full access account?

Can a student be on more than one sponsor's reading list?  If yes, do they get assigned a different user name and login for each sponsor?

Hi Joanne,

Absolutely, students can be on multiple sponsors' reading lists. As long as the sponsors are on the same organizational account the students do not need multiple usernames, each individual sponsor can simply add the same student to multiple reading lists.

If however the sponsors are on difference organizational accounts, say one is for a school and the second is for a study assistance organization, then the student would need multiple usernames unfortunately.

I am able to log in to Bookshare as the primary sponsor, however the other sponsor on the account is unable to log in using his email. Does he need his own password? If so, how do I help set it up for him?

Hi Nicole,

Each sponsor does need their own username and password setup.  From your account go to the Sponsors link from the left of your My Bookshare page and make sure he's on that list.  Assuming he is select on the edit icon, or his last name to pull up his information panel, and on this page you'll find an option on the right side under his username to set a new password for him.