Ginny Grant

Tell us what you think about the new search filters!

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

As mid-March, 2017, we introduced some new search results pages, that visually moved all of the list sorting and filtering options, such as "relevant authors", "categories" and "discover other books" into the left side of the page. We have tried to keep the page navigation as similar as possible for users of screen readers, but there may be some small changes. Today, April 4, we released the next round of improvements to that filtering area, which allow you to "refine" the search results even further!

You will see up to 10 categories listed for any given search result, showing the most relevant categories for the search terms that you entered. For example, if you search for 'Percy Jackson' in the quick search, the 130+ results appear, and showing "Literature and Fiction" as the category that is reflected most in that set of books, but also "Children's Books", "Teens" and "Science Fiction", If you select Teens and Science Fiction, then use the "Refine" button, the search results now show a sleek 40-ish results, the top which are all part of the Percy Jackson series.

You can do the same for "Winston Churchill", and you can then refine down to "Biographies and Memoirs", "History" or even "Mystery and Thrillers" - who knew? Or search for "Cookbook" and then refine down to "Children's Books" and "History" - there are some great titles that would otherwise be lost in our 530,000+ book collection!

Try your own way of slicing and dicing the collection, and please give us your feedback! We have a few more search improvements to go over the next few months - stay tuned...

I found it a bit confusing, but not impossible to use with a screen reader, and it's worth the learning curve! I particularly like now that I can find fiction with the words "cookbook" or "comprehensive" in the title or nonfiction with the word "suspense". It is sometimes quite challenging to find a book on a topic when that topic is a common word.

This might already be on your Youtube channel, but if it's not or it is incomplete, a tutorial on using the search filters will go a long way towards helping members become more independent. To make it accessible for screen reader users, be sure to say "and now I'm clicking on the button labeled ..." or "a drop-down list appears when I click here ..." and that helps all people who are auditory learners as well, who for example, might not notice that drop-down list!

Thank you for the feedback, Deborah, and so glad you persevered! I will ask internally if we can make a quick how-to on search refining using a screen reader (whether a help article or a video for our YouTube Channel).