Charisma Streeter

other ways to volunteer?

Rate Topic 1

5 posts in this topic

Thank you for starting this forum.

I used to volunteer scanning/proofing books for Bookshare. I enjoyed it very much but have not been able to do it for a long time now. I became visually impaired due to a brain injury, and as time passes other fallout from that TBI has made it too difficult to remember all of the codes and rules for page divisions, heading levels, and such. I'd still like to volunteer in some way, though. Is there anything else I can do?

~Charisma

Edited by Charisma Streeter

I also scan and proofread and am very interested in Bookshare. I don't know of any other ways we might help, but hopefully, someone will come up with a suggestion. The whole idea of discussion might be great; we should come up with ideas.

Sister Dolores

Hi! It's Amaya from Benetech, welcome everyone to the forum. I'm looking forward to engaging in lots of discussions with our Bookshare community!

On the topic of other volunteering opportunities, what types of things do you like to do, and do you have any particular skills you're especially proud of that you don't think you get to use enough? 

We love hearing about when volunteers want to get more involved!  Our Communities Team just came back from a Conference on Volunteering and Service and we learned so much from the sessions and other volunteer managers.  We are excited to get started on implementing some of these new ideas!   I also wanted to echo Amaya's sentiment of sharing your ideas for ways that you might want to help.  One of the main themes of the conference was that service unites: we are stronger together when we are able to work collectively and share our ideas for making the world a better place.  In my short time at Bookshare, I have had a chance to speak with many of our different volunteers, although not all of you, yet. And I'm just in awe of your commitment and resilience. Many of you volunteer because you have faced adversity in your own life, but you have found ways to overcome and now want to give back.  It's simply amazing.  I would love for us to share our collective problem solving skills here, and find ways to work together to make a bigger impact.

Hi,

I just posted this in another section of the forum, but could someone (or several someones) be assigned to identify/rate multiple copies of the same book? I have noticed an amazing number of duplicates lately, especially of the very popular books.

Thanks,

Ellen