Tammy Ales

Can students download?

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

I have a question.  Can students download books independently or do I have to assign each and every book for them?  I was hoping the students could download on their own once I have set up their account...any suggestions?

Hi Tammy,

We have two levels for student memberships with Bookshare.  When you add the student to your account it's first setup in the limited "Student Access" account type, also labeled "Organizational," and can only access content you assign to them.  It's setup this way simply because Bookshare is a library with a wide range of content, so this allows you to ensure the students do not access things that you or their parents may find objectionable.

However the students can absolutely upgrade this account to a full access "Individual membership" with Bookshare for free.  They simply need to log into their existing account and select the upgrade link from the right side of their My Bookshare page.  Please note if the students are under 18 they will need a parent or guardian to complete this form.  

In upgrading their account, the students are effectively are taking ownership of the account.  You can still assign material to them through reading lists, and you can still view them on your roster but you will no longer have access to view their full activity on Bookshare nor will you have access to set or change their password.  For account management assistance should they lose access to their Individual Membership the students or their parents or guardians would need to contact Bookshare support directly.  

Hello,

A student can download independently if they have an "Individual Membership".  Students can only read what is assigned to them if they only are a part of an "Organizational Membership." 

Happy Reading!!