Sign in to follow this  
Lisa Cosato

Off to College, how to keep Bookshare account?

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

Have a student with print disability who recently graduated and he is off to college this fall. He wants to keep his Bookshare account active so he can continue to use it in college. Is there anything he needs to do? (He has met with the Disability Coordinator at the university; they have a copy of his most recent evaluation which documents his disability, as well as copy of his IEP). University Disability Coordinator recommended he keep the Bookshare account.

Thank you.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks to our funding from the Department of Education even US College students can receive Bookshare for free.  The first step is to make sure the student has their own Individual Membership with Bookshare.  If they are just a member on your roster have them log into that account and select the option to upgrade the account from the right side of their My Bookshare page. 

Within their IM account they'll be notified when it's time to update their information to maintain the free account, at which point they'll just need to indicate which college they're attending.  They can also update this information at any time from their My Account page by navigating to their student status.

Hi Lisa,

I work at a college and I have many students who use bookshare. Some came to school with their individual account and some have decided to just use the organizational account assigned by the college. It does not matter a persons age, as long as they have a qualified print disability they are eligible to use bookshare!

Megan