Amy

New - Help with reading books

Rate Topic 0

5 posts in this topic

This will be my sons first year in a school (9th gr). We are purchasing a MACBOOK.  He will need to have all his school books available in a non web connected situation  Is there anything we need to purchase to keep the school books on the computer off-line so he can read them and have them read to him.  We will also be loading his tests and quizzes from the teachers on the computer as they become available.  Physical disability prevents use of arms and hands. 

My best recommendation is to download the books from Bookshare in the ePub format and use the iBooks app that should be included with the Macbook.  If that doesn't quite fit his needs for accessibility please feel free to call us so that our tech support can dig a little deeper, but we find for the majority of our members on Macbooks that's the best experience for offline access to Bookshare content.

Well, I'm sitting here, new and completely at a loss.   We're trying to figure out how to read anything -- oh, we're the teachers here. "Just hit read now!"   well... there is no "read now."   

Looks like this is a "well, maybe next semester" thing.  We thought it owuld be useful but... 

Now, we did - after about 15 minutes -- figure out how to pull up lists of the mp3s.   This is not going to be workable for students.   Technology's great when it works... 

Edited by SueJones

Hi Sue,

Not finding the Read Now option can be a couple of things, are you logging into the Bookshare website and using the Google Chrome web browser?  If you are and not finding the Read Now option it's likely there's an issue with your account, can you go to your My Bookshare page and check for alerts?

If you prefer to access Bookshare on a mobile device such as an iPad or an Android device you do need to install an app instead.  I generally recommend Go Read on Android and Voice Dream Reader on the iPad or iPhone.  All options are available on the relevant app store.

If this doesn't help I highly recommend contacting our support team directly, you can reach us at 650.352.0198