Nick Bowen

Improve handling of larger books in BRF

Rate Topic 1

3 posts in this topic

A member emailed this idea that we would like to gather more feedback on.  We've modified the content slightly to broaden the scope of the discussion:

Downloading large books including Bible translations such as: the New International Version, English Standard Version, the Ignatius Bible, and the King James Version as BRF files. Each book is in one very large file, which can be cumbersome at times.  I was wondering if you could divide each large book into separate files because it would be easier to read it that way. Lastly, in Bibles the verses of each chapter of each book are clustered together, so I was wondering if you could perhaps separate each verse into individual lines and number them correctly.

Interesting question, and one that will need engagement from our legal department! We operate under the Chafee Amendment, and our understanding has always been that we are not able to modify the contents of the titles to which we have been granted access in any way, so distributing just a chapter or even what might be considered a separate version of book that has been "bundled" is not allowed.

Certainly from a customer perspective, or even a proofreading perspective, it might be nice to be able to request smaller segments of a title in the collection as it would be a smaller file and faster/easier to package, download and read.  When we have an answer from our Collections Team and Legal, we will update this post with the news.

On the topic of verses in each chapter getting clustered together or mis-numbered, I don't have a good answer for across the board, so need to ask you to please submit a Book Quality Report with the specifics of which title has the problem and some details about which chapter and verses are good examples. Our Collection Development team or a Volunteer can then proofread it, and/or log a bug with our Engineering team that our conversion to DAISY is having an issue with this type of navigational element.  The "Report book quality issue" link can be found on the detail page for a given title; you must be logged in to submit the report. Thank you!

I know that's the way Bard handles things. For example, if the National Library Service distributes a hard copy of a book in four volumes, then the BRF version will also be split up into four volumes. I guess that makes it easier for some, but others like having one file on their device.