Sign in to follow this  
Trevor

Books on my iPad?

Rate Topic 0

7 posts in this topic

Hey Trevor, welcome to Bookshare!

We have lots of ways to get Bookshare on your iPad.  For the best overall experience right now I would recommend trying Voice Dream Reader, at this time it gives the best overall experience.  But if you would like to try something Free Capti Narrator is a great alternative as well!  Both Voice Dream Reader and Capti are available from the App store.

For all of our information check out our mobile reading tools page at: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/reading-tools/mobile

I find that Voice Dream works the best  for students with learning disabilities, or BVI students who use speech. It's my personal favorite.

But Read2Go the official bookshare app works much better with Braille displays. When I read technical books, poetry or cookbooks, I prefer Braille but I don't use brf; I use Daisy and the official bookshare app on my iDEVICES with a bluetooth Braille display.

Also some students prefer to use magnification with the official bookshare app. If you are at a school, get someone to demonstrate all three apps to you, if possible before you make a choice. I always demo these appss to my students.

You can also find user reviews on YouTube. Be your own judge.

Capti is free so great for finding out if bookshare will work for you.

If you are an iBooks user, we are testing out a new "Beta" feature that allows you to select "EPUB" as the download format and then "Open in..." iBooks or another reading tool that supports EPUB 3. To try out this feature, we invite you to use our new Beta options:

1) Go to the "Help us "Beta test" new features page: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/beta-test-new-features 

2) Choose the Activate EPUB 3 Beta option, which will then display EPUB as a download format. We recommend that you also Activate EPUB 3 Reader Beta to get the full effect of the improvements we've been making "behind the scenes".

3) Once you've downloaded the book as an EPUB, you can open in iBooks or another reading tool that supports EPUB 3

We have not tested all books on all platforms yet, but we'd love to hear feedback! iBooks definitely seems to be opening these titles nicely, but people experience iBooks differently, depending upon their needs and preferences.

Also, we recently made Bookshare Web Reader available on more platforms; not all of the synchronized highlighting and read-aloud functionality is there on every browser, but you can always use VoiceOver, TalkBack, JAWS or other screen reader to read aloud.  Learn more about which browsers are compatible.

Perkins School for the Blind has created a really nice summary of how to use this Beta feature:  http://www.perkinselearning.org/technology/posts/open-bookshare-book-ipad-ibooks-epub-beta-feature  THANK YOU to the eLearning team at Perkins!

Based on the responses we've gotten so far, we are planning on opening up EPUB as a download format to all members soon (for use with reading tools like iBooks that support EPUB 3 file format). Please do keep the feedback coming!