Sandra Oliver

Chrome & Web Reader

Rate Topic 0

6 posts in this topic

What is the difference between these Web Readers that both say Bookshare?

I added #2 today sort of on accident and it totally messed up all of my Chrome browser search and everything was blocked in my district and I could not perform any new searches? Is this really a Bookshare tool? Is so - what does it do different from this original Web Reader

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bookshare-web-reader/bkfmjmjngglphchhiemnghidpnddofmo

and this is #2 https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bookshare-web-reader/dcnckokjhgkooogaocjdgpkeddhehaed

Hi Sandra,

The Bookshare Web Reader extension is no longer needed for accessing Bookshare content.  Please uninstall both extensions and simply use an updated version of Chrome, or if you're on a Mac, the included Safari browser.

It is force installed in your GAFE - will it hurt to leave it there?

I had a VI teacher who could not get Read Now to work in Chrome with a student yesterday - what are the best troubleshooting tips for that? That is why I was asking her about the extension - was not sure what else to tell her to look for? Maybe make sure Chrome is updated?

If the Web Reader extension is forced installed on a Chromebook it will cause a conflict that will prevent the text to speech from functioning.  If it's on a PC using Chrome it may still function but the member will not have access to several of our new features, including the Beeline Reader options.  

If the Web Reader isn't speaking on a Chromebook we do recommend using the Chrome text to speech voice.  This extension will have to be installed: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-os-us-english-fema/efdojdlmjknacnljjdedapanceanigkh

And then from the Web Reader settings make sure the Chrome HQ Female voice is selected.  

If it's a PC that's not speaking it's best to use the Windows search for TTS Settings, and in the settings window select the button to "preview" the built in voice.  For lack of a better way to describe it, Windows sometimes on first attempt of using the Web Reader, forget that it has a text to speech engine installed.  Pressing that preview button will "remind" windows it's there and magically the Web Reader will begin to work again.

I force installed the reader in Chrome via the Google Dashboard. We do not manage our Chromebooks via the Chromebooks manager but instead just access changes/extensions and such through the students' school Google accounts. So -if I remove from the force installed extension list -will I ever need to manually install Chromebooks?

At this point the only extension we suggest is the text to speech voice, if you pull the web reader extension itself from the list assuming the Chromebooks are all updated to a relatively new version of Chrome we know of no reason you would need to install this extension.