Angela Harris

Textbook Page Navigation - Can I skip to next paragraph?

Rate Topic 0

4 posts in this topic

I was testing a social studies textbook for usefulness.  At the beginning of each chapter, there is a question followed by three long lines for students to write their responses.  The digital voice "reads" those lines as "underscore, underscore, underscore..............." for a really long time.  How do I advance to the next paragraph?  Does the reader always begin at the beginning of each page if I push the read button, or can I place it to start where I need it to read?

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately the answer it depends, many of our reading tools do offer navigation options to move forward by a paragraph or a line at a time.  But if for instance your students are reading through the Bookshare Web Reader we do not currently have these navigation options available. 

Hi Angela,

If you're on a PC Open Lore Reader and Kurzweil both work great and offer far different experiences.  Open Lore is far less expensive, offers a very nice strategy for embedded images in that they're pulled off to the side to not interfere with the reading itself, and offers an incredible amount of visual display options specifically designed for students with reading disabilities, especially dyslexia.  

Kurzweil has been around longer, and is a little harder to use in the grand scheme of things but does offer more functionality especially for teachers where they offer an integrated online library to help teachers assign content directly to their students, and integrates with their mobile application as well.  

For more information on both check out Open Lore Reader and their options at: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/reading-tools/openLORE

And Kurzweil at: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/reading-tools/Kurzweil