Sign in to follow this  
Betsy Hall

Technology being used

Rate Topic 0

2 posts in this topic

What technologies are being used by other schools? We seem to change technology every couple of years, and nothing long term. Watching the member videos they used Kurzweil 3000, we used Kurzweil  that several years ago, are schools still using it? We played around with some other TTS programs, but found them hard to work with.

Betsy,

You make a good point about the tendency of schools to change technology every couple of years. One of my concerns is that school districts often abandon a technology for another technology. For example, I know of schools that abandon iPads and replace them with Chromebooks. Over the past several years I’ve observed that school districts often jump on the bandwagon of whatever current technology is “hot” at the moment. The iPad and Chromebook are often the devices of choice by schools today, but they may not be the best choices for some students. The selection of technology for students with disabilities should be based on careful assessment data and team decisions, not on whatever the district has adopted school-wide. We shouldn’t be matching the student with the available technology; we should be providing technologies that have the features that best meet the student’s needs. Educators need to know the advantages and limitations of each tool and carefully do feature-match when deciding on appropriate devices for students.

Regarding your question about Kurzweil 3000 - Yes, many K-12 schools, colleges, and universities provide K3000 to their students. K3000 (Mac and Windows versions) is one of several computer applications that can support students with reading, writing, study skills, and test-taking. Kurzweil 1000 is a Windows computer application with similar functions, but is designed for individuals who are blind.