Nick Bowen

Bookshare Web Reader Beta

Rate Topic 0

11 posts in this topic

Bookshare has begun beta testing the Bookshare Web Reader on all browsers not currently supported.  If you're interested in participating and access Bookshare through an Individual Membership log into Bookshare from a browser on your favorite device and look for the "Read Now Beta" link just next to the download button for the book.  Select that link and let us know what your experience was below!

*Note if you only find a "Read Now" link without the Beta tag you're on a browser we do currently officially support, for more information on what browsers we support visit: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/what-browsers-are-compatible-bookshare-web-reader

Does this mean that the Web Reader will soon be available for the Microsoft browser?  Our district does not currently support use of Chrome, only Internet Explorer.  The free option of Read Outloud will discourage many IT people because it is no longer supported by the vendor.  Our students need an option for their PCs that does not require purchase. 

The Web reader is available in Internet Explorer, but this browser does not support self voicing, the  Web Reader will only display the book.  The new Windows 10 Microsoft Edge browser should support voicing, but we are just starting to beta test this to see where we're at and what modifications we might need to make to fully support this browser.

What version of Internet Explorer are you using in your district?  While probably unlikely it's possible the Web Reader is not available on the version you are using.  And just in case the Bookshare Web Reader is accessed by selecting a "Read Now" link found just next to or after the Download button, and it is currently only available to Bookshare members.  Bookshare sponsors such as teachers or others who directly assist Bookshare members are not yet given this option.

On the Volunteer form let me reach out to our Volunteering department to see where it is.  Sometimes with the back to school rush things can start to take a bit longer than normal to process.

Hmm I'm not entirely sure Wgat version I have right now. I'm sure it'll show up soon enough though! I'll be on the look out fir the option.

Thanks! I sent the form a while ago and was wondering why I hadn't gotten a response. I've got the app that it recommended me downloaded. 

Hi Margaret,

There shouldn't be an issue with the service at this time, though we did experience an interruption earlier this morning that may have caused some errors.  Are you students still being blocked or has it resolved itself?

Bookshare self-read (audio) doesn't work at all in Google Chrome on my desktop.  I am using the "beta" version of the Bookshare Webreader. The text opens - however, the self-reader does not work.  This is a new problem as it previously worked - prior to mid-week last week.

I am advised that we have the latest version of Chrome installed on our school computers. 

Any insight??

The "Beta" flag recently appeared on our "Read Now" link on Chrome environments, because of a change in our underlying systems architecture, but that will be corrected shortly. In truth, the only changes that have been made recently to Bookshare Web Reader are some bug fixes around the settings pop-up window, where you can change your font, font size, margins, color scheme, and voice settings.

If you are not able to use the read-aloud (microphone icon in the menu bar) option, you should:

* Check that you don't have the Web Reader chrome extension turned on. That extension is no longer needed and can interfere with other extensions (such as study tools like Read&Write or Snap&Read).

* Read through our help article https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/web-reader-voices. It may be that your environment doesn't have voices installed that are compatible with the browser's TTS.

* Also note, that the read-aloud option (synchronized voice with highlighted text) is not fully-functional on some browsers like Kindle Silk, Opera, Firefox, Edge or Mobile Safari (e.g. on your iPad) but you can enlarge the font or use another screen-reader like JAWS or VoiceOver. As those browsers are able to handle word-by-word highlighting and voicing, we will truly look for Beta testers!  For more information on what browsers we support visit: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/what-browsers-are-compatible-bookshare-web-reader

If none of these ideas work, please do contact our fabulous tech support group at: support@bookshare.org

I'm brand-new to BookShare, but have briefly tried out the embedded reader in both Safari and Chrome on my MacBook Air. It seemed to work great, but only part of "Great Expectations" was read aloud to me. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that I wasn't fully approved at the time. Well, now I am but I am afraid payment will have to be delayed on my end. But more about that in a later post. I'm impressed with this service thus far though.