Gretchen Murray

Privacy in large school district accounts

Rate Topic 0

2 posts in this topic

We are wondering how other large districts are handling their school accounts.  If we have one account for the entire district, all student accounts can be seen (including disabilities and learning plans) by all sponsors.  When we narrow it to one account per school, we lose the ability to have help desk assistance, as well as the primary account contact person.  In our district, our primary account person trains and troubleshoots for everyone using Bookshare.

Do any of you have experience with this?  How are others handling this situation?  Thanks for any info you can share.

Hi Gretchen,

We generally let the schools make this decision based on their specific needs as to how best they want to operate the Bookshare service. I would suggest if the school is interested in having one umbrella account for the large district that the person who conducts the training and troubleshooting be listed as the Primary Contact and all other staff as Sponsors.

The other thing I would mention to provide privacy and protect student information is for the Primary Contact to complete our Confidentiality Rider form which would allow student numbers or pseudonyms in place of student names but please understand that the rest of the solicited information is still required for audit purposes: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/how-do-i-use-anonymous-ids-my-students

Please let me know if you're interested in this route so that I can follow up with you directly.