Linda

Internet Archive downloads

Rate Topic 0

2 posts in this topic

Where can I learn more about downloading current books from the Internet Archive eBook library?  I found information about being print impaired and their cooperation with BookShare.  However, I tried to download only one book and the page then showed "Sorry, we need more time to finish generating your ebook. Please refresh this page after a few minutes."  I tried many times over an hour to refresh the page and it just does not work. 

Another question about it is, can I use VoiceDream Reader with these books? It mentions Adobe Digital Editions.  I downloaded that and it is DEFINITELY not for the print impaired.

I may just not have understood the correct process for registering, letting that website "know" that I am a member of BookShare with proof of disability and do not know what eReaders are able to be used with their downloads.

Linda

Hi Linda,

The Internet Archive is a partner collection that our members can use to search for books outside of the Bookshare collection. The Internet Archive has a large collection of books, including over 3 million DAISY titles, including periodicals and older reference materials. 

Unfortunately you won't be able to search the Internet Archive on Voice Dream Reader or any of the mobile apps. To search for books in the Internet Archive, go to Advanced Search (https://www.bookshare.org/search), and select "Internet Archive" from the "Collections to Search" drop-down menu. You'll still need to run an active search in order to show results.

Please note that the Internet Archive is a separate collection from Bookshare. We do not produce the books in the Internet Archive. As such, we cannot ensure the quality of Internet Archive books, nor can we provide support on using their resources. For more information on the Internet Archive, visit their website: http://archive.org/details/texts