Sign in to follow this  
Debee Norling

Make reviews easier to locate and motivate members to review more

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

I sometimes review books I've read, but not always. It is discouraging because in the advanced search, there is no way for users to locate books with reviews. So I loose interest in writing reviews.

There should be a way users can search for reviewed books, or get more specifics, say books rated three stars and up.

Bookshare also could encourage the writing of more reviews by implementing a voting system. If one of your reviews gets a vote, it shows up in My Bookshare, and the blog can feature popular books -- not popular in the number of times downloaded -- but on the number of reviews and the number of votes those reviews received.

I really like reviewing books on Amazon, which emails me reminders that I should review a book after I purchase it. This could be something that is OFF by default in a user's profile but could be turned on, so users like me who enjoy reviewing books could be reminded to do so.

What's the good of writing reviews if nobody knows they exist?

This is an interesting conundrum, Debee!  We have offered the option to review books on Bookshare pretty much since the beginning, but rarely do people submit reviews. Perhaps as you suggest, the place to review a book is not easily located (it is on the tail end of the book detail page), and also there is little incentive.  We have also wondered whether we should just integrate with another service where there are thousands of people reviewing books all the time, like GoodReads or Amazon.  

Are reviews the best place to consider for a future enhancement? Or, should we build a "book recommendation" tool, such as "other people who selected titles that you did also downloaded..."? Or a quick way to find other books that are on the same reading list as a book you like? It would be great to hear what our voracious readers think about discovering their next book in our ever-growing collection...

I was the original poster of this topic, logging in then under my personal account, which on these forums is still associated with my maiden name.

It is still disappointing that reviews aren't more popular, but I definitely second the suggestion of making it possible to see other books that are similar to a title I downloaded; the way libraries and Amazon already make suggestions. I would say though not to show other books that were searched for, but instead other books that were actually downloaded or read online that are similar.