Sign in to follow this  
Nancy Vannoy

NIMAC Books

Rate Topic 0

13 posts in this topic

I'm new to Bookshare; only two of my students so far have used it this summer for their summer assignments. They loved it! I would like to set it up for my students to be able to access their textbooks at home, particularly their literature books. We have access for them to have the NIMAC books on their reading lists but I don't know how to give them access. Can they access them at home or is that something that can only be used at school?

Thank you!

Hi Nancy, 

Your students can access these books from anywhere. If you already have the books on a reading list, simply make sure your students are added as members on that list and that the list is shared and not set to private.  Once that's done your students can access those books right from their account. 

If they are using a reading tool like Voice Dream Reader they will need to search for the book by title or ISBN number. 

If students are on a 504 and not an IEP can they access books o Bookshare. We are contemplating moving some students who use Bookshare onto a 504. Will this affect their access to Bookshare.

Thanks for the response, Nick. My other students have been using it fine, but with the students that have the NIMAC books, it says "This book is not available in Web Reader. Your sponsor can download it for you." What can I do to help?

Hi Nancy,

48 minutes ago, Nancy Vannoy said:

Thanks for the response, Nick. My other students have been using it fine, but with the students that have the NIMAC books, it says "This book is not available in Web Reader. Your sponsor can download it for you." What can I do to help?

To make sure the student has access to the book please add it to a Reading List and share the list with the student.  Detailed steps can be found on our help article at: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/how-do-i-share-reading-list-member

If they still cannot access it make sure the student is identified as having an IEP and is logging in with the account that matches the one on your roster.  Every once in a while we have students with multiple accounts which can cause issues.

16 hours ago, Ken Ball said:

If students are on a 504 and not an IEP can they access books o Bookshare. We are contemplating moving some students who use Bookshare onto a 504. Will this affect their access to Bookshare.

And for Ken Bookshare does not require any education plan at all, so for general access adding them as 504 students won't be a big issue overall.  There is one smaller issue in that they will not have access to these NIMAC sourced textbooks.  The NIMAC was created specifically and only to support K-12 IEP students, so we cannot allow 504 students or students without an education plan to access these books.  That being said we can still add textbooks to our collection through our manual scanning process.  Please note that due to technical limitations our manually scanned books will be of lower quality compared to the NIMAC sourced books.

If they still cannot access it make sure the student is identified as having an IEP and is logging in with the account that matches the one on your roster.  Every once in a while we have students with multiple accounts which can cause issues.

Yes, they do have an IEP and are logging in just fine. It just says beside the book:  "This book is not available in Web Reader. Your sponsor can download it for you."  Do I have to download it?  Thank you!

Unfortunately that does mean that particular book is too large or complex currently for our Web Reader.  For the best expeience we do recommend downloading it into a Bookshare compatible application such as Voice Dream Reader or Go Read.  Additionally if using a windows PC and for students with Dyslexia the Open Lore reading tool is really incredible, but does require a small purchase: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/reading-tools/openLORE

We do have some other options just depending on exactly how the book is being accessed.  If you'd like to provide me with what kind of computer or device they're using I can give a few more specific options available for opening these larger books.  

For Windows 10 I do highly recommend the Open LORE Reader if you don't mind a small purchase.  The app has a dyslexia font built in, makes finding and reading books very easy, and includes two great Acapela voices.

Alternatively Bookshare does still have available Read:OutLoud - Bookshare Edition downloadable from: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/where-can-i-download-readoutloud

Please note however this program is now really showing it's age, you will need to manually download and extract our books to open them on the computer, some helpful information on those steps can be found here: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/how-do-i-install-and-use-readoutloud-bookshare-edition

Also you will need to navigate to the voice settings to select a voice that will work on the Windows 10 machine, there should be two options that work: David and Zira.

Thank you; I will share this with her. Now, what can I do on my end since beside the book, it says I have to download it for her? How do I get her to the point where she can access it on her computer?

Hi Nancy,

It depends on which tool the student wishes to use.  If using Open LORE the student can log in directly to the program then search for and download the book.  If using Read:OutLoud because they cannot log into Bookshare through that program itself you will need to log into Bookshare yourself, search for the book, select the Download button, place a check next to the student's name with the format of DAISY with Images, then confirm the download.  You will be taken to your My History page where the book will show a status of "In progress" while our server prepares your download, when the "Available" link appears select that to download it.  

For accessing the book once it's downloaded you'll need to extract the book from the downloaded .zip file and then open it from within Read:OutLoud, this article should provide all of the necessary steps: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/readoutloud-bookshare-edition-download-workaround

You've been so helpful but I still have a question. The book is still showing that I have to download it. Once the students have Open Lore, will they be able to access it without me downloading it? I'm going to download a free trial of the open lore so I can see how it works and show it to my students.

Also, at the top of the reading list page it says "org list owned by (me)." All the other reading lists say "Member List shared with members." Is that important?

Yes if the student logs into Open Lore they'll be able to access any book you have shared with them on a reading list.  They will still need to use the built in search of Open LORE to find the book, but once found the app should let them download it.

For the second piece, the "Org list" means the list itself is actually shared with other Sponsors on your Bookshare account.  They can go to their reading list page and subscribe to your list.  The rest of the lists are only shared with your members, Sponsors will not be able to find and subscribe to them.