Ginny Grant

Help us make our books downloadable in ePub.

Rate Topic 0

5 posts in this topic

Over the years we have heard people ask "can I download a book in EPUB?" or "Can I open a book in iBooks?".   And now we need YOUR help in bringing this request to the finish line! We are now offering EPUB as a download option that is in "Beta". 

If you would like to test out this capability, we invite you to use our new Beta options:

1) Go to the "Help us "Beta test" new features page: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/beta-test-new-features 

2) Choose the Activate EPUB 3 Beta option, which will then display EPUB as a download format. We recommend that you also Activate EPUB 3 Reader Beta to get the full effect of the improvements we've been making "behind the scenes".

3) Once you've downloaded the book as an EPUB, you can open in iBooks or another reading tool that supports EPUB 3

We have not tested all books on all platforms yet, but we'd love to hear feedback! iBooks definitely seems to be working nicely, but of course people use iBooks differently depending upon their needs and preferences.  

Love the new .epub version! My student really appreciates seeing the images in VoiceDream Reader. Another student loves .epub using iBooks.

When will I be able to set students' reading preferences to .epub?

Thanks,

Ting Siu

The only suggestion I would make here is that the process for downloading ePub books is a little tedious. I have to click the download button, wait for an email, and then click on the link provided to take me to my history in order to download the book. I should just be able to click download and the book is downloaded immediately, much like a daisy book would be.

Hi Igor,

We definitely would like to streamline the process for downloading ePubs.  Thank you for the reinforcement however on the value it would add to our members!