Janelle Keller

Definition Learning Disability

Rate Topic 0

4 posts in this topic

Before my school gets started with Bookshare, I wanted to be clear on what is a qualifying learning disability?

A few examples for clarity: a student with a specific disability in basic reading, a student with a specific disability in reading comprehension, a student with a general learning disability (that would include reading)?  Thank you in advance.  

Did you get an answer about this?  I was wondering the same thing. My sped kids all read 2-6 levels below their grade level peers. Those that are close to grade level have very slow and labored reading which will make it very difficult for them to keep up with daily reading in our chapter books. 

Under recently revised copyright law, an “eligible person” is one who: “is blind,” or “has a visual impairment or perceptual or reading disability” rendering them unable to read printed works “to substantially the same degree as a person without an impairment or disability,” or “is otherwise unable, through physical disability, to hold or manipulate a book or to focus or move the eyes to the extent that would be normally acceptable for reading,” 

Since Bookshare staff are not trained to assess and certify print disabilities—and many certifications rely on personal knowledge of the individual's situation—we must rely on the expertise of Competent Authorities to determine Bookshare eligibility. 

A Competent Authority is a person with a medical or special education background that is familiar with the disability, has access to the member’s medical records and can determine with confidence that the individual meets the eligibility requirements of copyright law. Common Competent Authorities include medical professionals, special education teachers, or psychologists. 

For more examples of Competent Authorities please visit https://www.bookshare.org/cms/bookshare-me/who-qualifies/qualifications