Nathan Beaver

start stop option?

Rate Topic 0

3 posts in this topic

We are using Chrome.  We selected read now,  book loaded but we can not get it to stop and start at selected spot.  It begins at the top no mater what I try.  I've scrolled to point I what to start and clicked read (it just goes to the top beginning).  I have gone to table of context and chose chapter and then click read (it just goes to the top beginning).  It does not let me a choose page - it is either the top (beginning) or the last end of book, Any suggestions? 

Hi Nathan,

I don't think there is a way to start in the middle of the page when using the voices on the Web Reader.  My workaround is to have the students still select "read now" to  open the book in the Bookshare Web Reader and then use the text-to-speech tools in the Read&Write for Google Chrome extension.  (We have licenses of the premium version, but Text-to-speech tools are available in the FREE version!)   The student can highlight the text and select the play icon or use "hover speech", which allows the student to put their cursor in the location that they would like to begin listening. However, we have found that hover speech can be a bit quirky on the Web Reader at times.

Hope this helps!

Bookshare Web Reader is a basic tool that always begins reading at the top of a page. 

To start reading from a different spot in a book, please scroll until that area is focused at the top of the screen and then press Play.

For an alternate reading experience, you can try the Read&Write extension with Bookshare Web Reader.
https://www.bookshare.org/cms/help-center/readwrite-extension-google-chrome
Alot of our members will also use Capti online for a nicer experiance.

I can say our team is working on a major update to our free WebReader (ReadNow) that will be released in the near future.