Thomas Ayrovainen

Forgotten Password

Rate Topic 1

9 posts in this topic

I'm the primary contact at my school and we have a member (student) who can't remember his password. Does the member or his parents have to change or do I? We have a linked individual/organizational account. I need guidance, I'm stumbling my way through this system for the first time. can anyone help?

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately when a student has an Individual and Organizational linked account such as this, the student technically has ownership of the account.  Due to student privacy concerns Bookshare can only provide information about accounts to the owners of them, meaning for these accounts only the students or the student's parents or guardians have the access to edit the information on the account. 

I recommend having the student select the log in link from the top of the Bookshare website and choose the forgot password link to try resetting their password though that process.  If that does not work please have the student or their parents or guardians contact Bookshare support at membership@bookshare.org or calling us at 650.352.0198 so that we can assist them directly in recovering their account.

A sort of last resort option that we do need to use for occasions where the  options above aren't available is to remove the student from your roster and re-add them.  When added the student will be a simple limited access student account where you can set a username and password.  This limited account will only have access to the books you assign to them across reading lists, but should they recover their individual account you can always re-connect it at a later date.

Nick,

This sounds as if there is a disadvantage to having an individual and organizational account.  I would think that Thomas' situation is quite common amongst students and it would be very hard to help them.  Can a student log in/read a book under their organizational part of their membership or is it strictly one or the other.  I am thinking that it would be best to only give individual memberships to older students who are responsible enough for their own passwords.

Hi Joanne,

We do highly recommend only encouraging your older students who are responsible, or students with very engaged parents or guardians in upgrading their account to a full access Individual Membership.  

Students with just Organizational memberships can absolutely log into Bookshare and read books, however they are limited to only accessing books that you or other sponsors share with them on reading lists.  The big advantage for having an Individual Membership is the student can be more independent, searching and accessing just about any book they'd like within our library.  

Nick,

I am a new primary contact and it doesn't appear that our district has taken advantage of their  Bookshare membership (or maybe I don't know how to check).  None of the students have a user name or password showing on my list.  Did they have to have one when the list was created and I know it said to write it down, so is it just not appearing?  I have no idea of what their user names may have been, so how would I go about resetting their password if necessary.  I am wanting to add quite a few students and want to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

Hi Joanne,

We somewhat recently added the feature for adding usernames and passwords to our members on org rosters.  For your students that don't have any listed select on their last name or select the edit link next to their name and add in a username and password in the pop up box.

Note that usernames do need to be unique across all of Bookshare and not just unique to your account, so you may receive a duplicate username error if using simple usernames.